Saturday, January 17, 2009

Freak Accidents Happen




Life is so funny sometimes.




Today at work, I had one of the most stupid accidents and I would never believe it would happen, if it didn't happen to me. I still laugh when I think about it, or tell someone about it since it's just so odd.




Let me start by saying. Office chair with wheels, tile floor.. Just thought I'd give the visual. Now, think about a piece of paper on the floor to your left. Any normal person would just bend to pick it up, right? Nothing normally would happen. Right?




Ok, I leaned over to the left to pick up the paper. My chair slid out from under me (on the tile floor). I landed on my elbow, which now has a cracked bone. And the chair landed on me.




At first when my elbow kept hurting, I just thought it was because I landed on it, and it was sore. After a little while it didn't stop hurting. Then I went to pick up a 3 ring binder, and pain shot up my arm all the way to my shoulder.




So, I had to go fill out an incident report at work, got sent to the Bapt. Minor Med, who x rayed, found out the bone was cracked, and sent me to an ortho. The ortho didn't think it was that bad. Did not need a cast or anything. Just said keep it in a sling, we'll x ray it again in 2 weeks, and that's it. He also said, don't use that arm at all. (like that is so easy) Don't lift with it, so I can't file at work (darn!), and not sure if I can lift to cook or go to the grocery store. (double darn!!!) I just have to take it easy..




I am glad I did not have to get a cast, eventhough I had decided to get a cute pink camo one if I did. :o) I can take the sling off to shower and sleep, so a sling is much easier- except I still TRY to use my arm a lot, til the pain comes back... And I kept using it last night in my sleep..to assist in turning over and so forth..




I've always said that my left hand is useful except to support my right hand. I am learning that is really not true. I haven't been giving it the gredit it deserves- just because it's not AS useful as the right.




Ok, gotta stop writing. I've not got my sling on, am using the "taboo" hand I'm not supposed to, and am starting to hurt. I am also posting a picture of my x ray. They probably thought I was stupid taking a picture of my xray with my cell phone, but I wanted to share with my friends.




Peace out and love,


Becky




1 comment: